Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Feedback: Nicole


Nicole delivered a super fun space. I am reminded of Alice and Wonderland somewhat because of the color choices and the style of rendering. The space is full of and impactful with color, which is a great concept in a music library.

The columns have been given a face lift and actually make a big (positive!) impact in opposition to what they were like previously. This take on structure is interesting. She really played up the horizontal structure here and celebrated it. While making them stand out, she made them an integral part of the space; I would not know they were structural columns. This was a success I think. The next step I think would be continuing the idea on the floor as she has done on the ceiling. The space almost feels top heavy so to continue this installation on the floor would help balance that.  
The nodes in the space are placed in this grid like system which have positives and disadvantages associated with it. First of all, it provides structure and defines the area which is great in assisting with boundaries, but I think it might be too structured. With all these flowing curves, introducing square areas breaks up that concept.
The next step I would suggest is in reference to quiet and loud sections. I love that it has a cafĂ© area (I might have to incorporate that in my design!) which goes along with the social aspect. But the actual library is social as well. I think that quiet, listening areas should be established. The curved panel divider is slowly traveling in the direction of this idea, and just needs to be further implemented. I am excited to see the next few iterations!      

No comments:

Post a Comment