Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Unit Foundation Point


A foundation is the most important aspect of anything that requires continual process and growth. Without one, whatever is coming next will crumble. I believe this with all my heart, which is why I tried my best to learn as much as I could with this unit, so that I could get the most out of the ensuing ones. I appreciated that we began with the definition of stacking and how that presents itself many times throughout this unit. The pyramid is full of the stacking concept. The whole structure is stacking stone upon stone. Along with that, the physical exertion of climbing to the top represents the difficulty of rising up the social ladder, a near impossibility during this time. These pyramids established the axes; horizontal and vertical. The horizontal illustrates the life cycle here on earth and the vertical axis relates to the relationship between earth and gods. During this time the Egyptians believed the earth had four corners. The gold that adorned the top of the pyramid threw the light down each of the four corners, traveling to the ends of the earth. I thought of this concept again with my Eiffel Tower project in studio. The structure is actually positioned so that the points are at each North, South, West, and East. I wonder if Gustave Eiffel pulled from this same idea (concept?) when designing the placement of the Tower. I really saw how male and female concepts were attributed to architecture this early in history. I felt that this idea was apparent wherever you turned beginning in Egypt, continuing with the Grecians and then the Romans (the wu-wu!). I am excited to learn if this is incorporated within the next centuries. We learned as well that there were three ingredients that are always included within architecture; these are a porch, court, and hearth. I have seriously debated these over the course of the last few weeks and it is true! They really are an integral part of architecture! What really astounded me when we traveled to Greece was their sense of detail. In everything they did, nothing was forgotten. Every jot and tittle were thought about and made important. Where this made an impact for me was at Athens. The Parthenon is such a significant feat. The columns here were not placed exactly the same distance apart. They had slight variations between them so that the distance looked the same when seen from the entrance into Athens. Also they were not perfectly plumb either. If they were extended above the framework of the structure, they would all meet at a point 1.5 miles above the temple stylobate. I cannot believe someone actually thought about these things and then proceeded to carry them out. Absolutely amazing. Hall states why such care exercised for this building: “…arĂȘte, for the home of the goddess required the most excellent materials and most exacting workmanship. It was done because the Greeks could do it.” He goes on to say that yes, the structure is now in ruins, but not by fault of construction. It was all to do with human calamity. Of the ten structures presented to us, included in the cities around Rome, I realized that I could not choose just one I appreciated the most because they are all integral parts of this time period. I look forward to seeing many more of the themes we learned in the following segments: stacking, male and female, elements and principles of design, three ingredients of architecture, and sense of detail.


I feel that the Pyramids of Giza are a great representation of this unit. They are at the very beginning, first of all, and have many relations to the afore mentioned main themes within this unit.

5 comments:

  1. You can definitely see you excitement towards this unit when reading your essay. You seem to understand many of the concepts and how they still relate to today's architecture. More organization within the essay may make clear some of your thoughts even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna...HELLO!
    Your work count was great. I can tell that you enjoyed this unit and have grasped the concepts of it. I think you could have devided your essay in to paragraphs to seperate your thoughts but it was really nice to read! Had good energy :). I'm glas you explained your picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you incorporated things outside of this class into this essay...like the Effiel tower project in studio. I can tell that you really do believe this wholeheartedly which is sometimes not that easy to come across eloquently. I think you did a really good job with that. However, I do agree that it would help if you would've broken it up, simply because there was a lot of things covered in the essay as well as the unit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again restates what is said in class.
    Organization of the essay needs to revolve around key points.
    A lot of the essay is about praise for technological marvels rather than the deep meaning behind them.

    It’s great to see inclusion of the Eiffel tower, however this topic needed to be more “fleshed out.” Rather than asking whether or not the Eiffel Tower is based on the organization of the pyramids, go beyond the reading/class and state your own observations.
    Choosing a specific topic within a unit is a great way to synthesize the information without having to make the essay about every topic/civilization covered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. image selection is relevant for a foundations unit however, the concept seems to chronicle unit study instead of personalizing thoughts of the topics. consider what is chosen to compare and analyze. what's helpful is choosing a few [ 3] key points and expounding on them.

    stay excited about architectural study; more to come

    ReplyDelete