Saturday, January 28, 2012

Classmate concepts

In looking at other classmate's diagrams from the last step in the analyzing process, I found that Kacie Leisure had some interesting ideas pulled from systems. I thought that her concepts from light and water were the strongest. First, the light diagram was simple and easy to read and relates itself to an actual design layout later. Her first statement here was 'a beacon of light is a form...intended to serve as a guide'. This immediately brings an illustration to my mind about what the space could be. Way-finding in this library is extremely difficult so designing this space with guides in mind could really help connect areas, allowing them to be used to their full potential.      
http://www.kacieleisure.blogspot.com/2012/01/systems-conceptual-development.html

In viewing Kacie's water concept, the sub-concept I found was 'flowing'. This goes hand in hand with her light concept in that providing a flow to the space with furnishing placement or design in general could aid in the potential utilization of the entire space.
Right now I have been at UNCG for almost three years and I have not spent time in, let alone, seen the entire library. This mainly has to do with the overall design of the space. Every time I enter, I want to leave as soon as possible. The space is broken up into sections and does not have smooth transitions that would assist to a flowing circulation.    
http://www.kacieleisure.blogspot.com/2012/01/systems-conceptual-development.html
The rest of her diagrams were informative, but I believed the two above to be the best in regards to communication with the graphics, information included, and how they pertain to the Jackson Library.

No comments:

Post a Comment