Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Response to Parametric Modeling

Parametric modeling makes digital modeling easier and more efficient for the user. This is a new approach that is surfacing in the design world. It assigns real-world behaviors and attributes to the model. For example, if the pitch of the roof is changed, the user does not need to be concerned about having to go in and change the height of the walls. Parametric modeling programs do that for you. It revises everywhere so you don’t have to. Parametric modeling also provides a schedule for the project, keeping each component of the model in a category: doors, windows, etc. If these parts are changed in the graphic model, they change on the list. Even if they are changed in the list, they are changed in the model. This program updates the changes you make for you. Not having to do steps twice makes modeling so much easier and less time consuming.
     
Having this assignment to complete has really helped me see how simple parametric programs (such as Revit) can be. This program has the potential to really help me in the future. Revit is so user friendly. Want to draw a wall? Draw a wall. It’s that simple. For me, it was straightforward because I drew the wall exactly as I thought I would draw it: by selecting the wall tool and drawing it in its desired location. There are some setbacks to BIMs, and those have to be dealt with. You have to make sure that when deleting a line or point, it doesn’t delete other important things that might be attached to it, like a wall. Some would say transitioning from a 2D program like CAD to a 3D program (Revit) would be difficult. I have used CAD and although it’s somewhat user friendly, Revit is much more so. The article mentions this great feature: “a change anywhere is a change everywhere.” This means that I don’t have to double check the cross references because it does that for me already. I enjoy that Revit has no layers. No layers means more time in my book. You will not have to consistently check to see if you are on the correct layer. The fact that you can go back and forth quite effortlessly from 2D to 3D is fantastic; which basically means having an ‘intelligent connection’ between every aspect. This allows you to see a perspective version of the project, as it would look from all angles. This is really a great feature.

So, pulling from my previous Revit experience as well as the tutorial I have worked on and completed, I cannot find any annoyances of the program as of yet. This opinion might change in the future, but I am going out on a limb and saying that I enjoy Revit now and therefore intend on using it extensively in the future. Having heard that Revit is being used in big time Architect firms, it is safe to say I would like to continue to learn and grow in this program for future endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment