Monday, January 10, 2011

Design Auto Biography

I wanted to take the time as well to tell a little about my background in design thus far. I have been tagging along with my Dad at a one man (well, woman) design firm since I was two years old. I would help him with the work he was doing for her (the designer): painting, installing, moving, fixing, etc. Along with this, I was able to observe the inner workings of the firm. I believe that this is where my love for design came from and other experiences helped me to understand that. In high school I thought it would be fun to take an interior design class. That was where I realized this is what I want to do. For my senior project, I made a cabinet with the help of my Opa (grandpa). I used the final product for the application to attend IARC; answering the question, what is something you think to be well designed? I then came to UNCG and began studying design. I found a job at Stein Mart over the summer and learned so much, especially about marketing and selling. At the past Furniture Market in High Point, I received the opportunity to help stage Asian Loft’s showroom. They then made it available to work the Market; I sold a vase! That was a great experience. I believe to continue design and love it as much now as I did in the past.
The photo here is of the cabinet I built. One of my goals this semester is that everything I make have great craft. This is my inspiration for great craft. It does take hard work and dedication, but the end result looks fantastic, and I am proud of what I accomplished in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment