Monday, November 1, 2010

Reflection: Clock

This is my clock project. I enjoyed coming up with the idea and executing it. I chose to do the form space shown by word (LATE). I played with this idea by using the white rabbit from Alice and Wonderland and his famous saying, "I'm late, I'm late, for a very important date" which also relates back to the time/clock theme. I put this in Castle Howard's interior. We learned that the interior stayed in a gothic style, while the exterior showed the new style, which was the Renaissance. So I am stating that the interior was 'late' in it's revolution, unlike the outside. As with each of these projects, we needed to include nature, material, people, and symbol. The ways in which I included nature, material, and people are fairly self explanatory, but I will elaborate more. The hedges (nature) are specifically drawn from the garden outside of Castle Howard. The people are shown with the white rabbit and the woman garbed in 18th century (the year when the castle was built) fashion. This time period is the beginning of people doing their own thing and figuring out how they want things to look. This project is symbolic of this concept. Maybe the Howards liked both the Gothic and Renaissance style. Also, just a side note: The text is not quite centered in the middle of the image on purpose. The castle is divided, like I stated, between the two styles, and therefore having a non-copacetic feel to it, just like the words in the image! I really like this project, and I had fun with it; though now I can't get that phrase out of my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment