Thursday, September 1, 2011

Daylight Saving Time essay

I wrote this 250 word essay about the possible side effects of Daylight Saving Time.

There has been some debate about Daylight Saving Time and whether it’s even necessary. Conserving energy as well as enjoying the natural sunlight were the main reasons behind this event so, it is interesting how people have developed a dislike for it. This is not for lack of reasons though. There have been many disruptions since Daylight Saving began. The one found in The Claim: Daylight Saving Time Can Affect Your Health is right in the title. Within this work the author referred to a study where 55,000 people (that is pretty impressive) had negative effects in the sleeping realm when observed around the time change. I understand this; it takes time for your circadian rhythm to adjust to the new time of the clock. However, I do not agree with the article in terms of the change being unhealthy. The way I think about Daylight Saving Time is in terms of time zones. I recently traveled to California and when I arrived, I found myself yearning for sleep before a normal bedtime. This was the affect not only of the traveling but because of the amount of time the sun’s natural light was shining. For the next few days I could tell I was more irritable. I tried to combat my tiredness by staying up later and rising earlier. Within a couple of days I was on California time. The article states that time change can result in “restlessness, sleep disruption and shorter sleep duration" as well as “change and increase in heart attacks, suicides and accidents”. I have to say that the first few side effects can be true but heart attacks and so on, is farfetched in my mind. I would not discontinue traveling across time zones just because I could have the potential of having a few restless nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment