Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Unit Theory Point

During this first theories unit, there were many fascinating ideas presented. I loved that we began with the definition of architecture, and exactly why it was the ‘unavoidable art’. I learned that there were numerous interpretations of that specific definition. Comparing building to architecture was quite thought provoking. It is an interesting concept to think that there are significant differences between the two. One of the most important topics (I think) covered in Judith’s class was touched on in class as well: how the architecture world has the past constantly on its back (like the nautilus), drawing from the history to gain inspiration.
http://www.bmyersphoto.com/BWXRAY/animals2.html

I appreciated how we separated that theory into three parts; containing integrated and finished interiors, continuing same use in existing structure, and changing use in existing structure. Now I have a foundation for looking, really looking, at all architecture and buildings (along with commodity, firmness, and delight; can’t forget about those!). Even that foundational concept was further expounded on during class with the ‘pairs of understanding’, as I like to call them. I will probably rely on these pairs to help guide my looking process towards architecture. I have actually utilized these words since class began in August. They have been applied to studio (the projects we have) and towards my two general classes as well. I found the readings so far this semester, not just in this class, have somehow related to each other. I have to continually remind myself which class the reading is specific to. In English I read about the same concepts Hall had written about; how “man has shifted evolution from his body to his extensions” and how man’s use of space is interrelated to his culture. I love that all of my classes are slowly mixing together. It makes me feel (in my general classes) that they actually mean something and I will be able to use this information in the next few years to come; I am not simply just regurgitating it through class and forgetting after it is over. This inspires me in a way and gears me towards being quite enthusiastic about my classes. Another subject included in this unit was the design cycle. This was interesting to learn about and can definitely be applied to various subjects. While watching a TV show, someone talked about clothes and how the mom had been alive so long her younger clothes were coming back into style. The design cycle! Like I said before, these facts are so absorbing; I really want to find out more. One more subject we covered that I found fascinating was the Stonehenge. All of those theories you shared with us were fantastic and extremely thought provoking. I came home and talked to my roommate about it for about half an hour. These ‘ways of looking’ truly have us thinking differently about the world; why is this the way it is and what does that tell us about those people at that point and time? You really have to use your thinking cap, going back to kindergarten for a moment, to experience all these ideas and to (in the end) gain so many new ones. I value this quote now, “You can’t know where you’re going until you know where you’ve been.” This is a quote that I believe summaries fairly well what this class will continue to expound on throughout the next few months. Cannot wait to learn about the pyramids in Egypt!

5 comments:

  1. Anna! i completely agree with everything you presented in your point unit summary. The difference between a building and architecture is the thing that architects today forget to differentiate. Architecture is made of three things; commodity, firmness, and delight. You can't have one without the other to create true architecture. Another thing, your idea of the design cycle with clothes is a very good example (you would use the idea of clothes). Everything comes back into style. Even styles of houses that were popular in early Charleston are back. Robert's idea of continuously moving forward plays into this. If you remember him talking about it, he thinks it's stupid we bring back the old, haha. But very good job with your points and examples!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Became a bit of a reflection, but showing how this knowledge applies to your everyday life and thinking is important to sythesization.
    Good link to image.
    Needs some organization in terms of paragraph types and breaks.
    Good understanding that architecture is an extension of man and is dictated by how man responds to space within culture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna
    You are right about Design cycle. We repeat ideas more often than we know. Yes every now and then some things new will come along, but majority of design ideas are " just" reinvented and restored. It is also neat to see how much art and architecture has influence the world we live,with out even knowing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna, sorry I forgot to comment about the over quality , word count and image. I love your image of the Nautilus shell, it is such a complex object but simplistic in form...the quality of your essay reads well, but there were a couple of opps( grammar) along the way but over all I enjoyed it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good personal insight and reflection.
    Connection and interrelationship to other class are recognized.
    Pairs of understanding..bravo articulation
    Image was right on.

    ReplyDelete